FOCUS: Every Christian is a servant of the Lord, and each is required to serve another.
Heavenly Father, we thank you for making it possible for us to be here for this gathering. You are a powerful God, who redeems the huge mess we have made of your world. What a gracious Lord you are, giving your life as the price for making all things new. We fall down before you, in awe of your humility and sacrifice for us. We rise to dance before you, as those upon whom you have lavished such great love and joy. Lord God, only you can change our hearts. We earnestly ask you to remove our pride; humble our attitudes; and soften our hearts. Make us prefer the hidden place of service over the public place of being noticed. Make us glad to be your servants, wherever you place us. During this gathering let us speak & listen with your wisdom & love. We make this prayer, in the tender and powerful name of your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen!
OPENING SONG: Follow Christ
Follow Christ and love the world as He did,
When He walked upon the earth.
Love each friend and enemy as He did;
In God’s eyes we have equal worth.
Follow Christ and serve the world as He did,
When He ministered to everyone.
Serve each friend and enemy as He did;
So that the Father’s will be done.
Most of us know what it means to be a servant. But do you know what it means to be a faithful servant? Let us look at 7 characteristics of a faithful Christian servant.
- Follower – A faithful Christian servant strives to follow Jesus. This means that when he makes choices of what to do in his life, he chooses what Jesus would choose and goes where Jesus would go.
- Humble – A faithful Christian servant does not act in a way that is superior over others. He will be humble and not proud. He will remember why Jesus came to earth — to humbly give his life for all.
- Meek – Most have heard that to be meek does not mean that you are weak. On the contrary, meekness is defined as controlled strength. You are meek when you are gentle, quiet and submissive. A faithful Christian servant knows when it is necessary to be meek and serves in a way that displays this Christ-like characteristics.
- Patient – A faithful Christian servant is patient to serve everyone, even when they are not ready to be served. Sometimes we need to wait for the perfect time to be a servant to a fellow brother or sister in Christ. A faithful servant will jump on the chance to offer a helping hand or take on an additional workload.
- Good Steward – A faithful Christian servant must be willing to give of his gifts and talents. Giving of your talent shows your commitment to serve others. It shows that we are willing to serve others out of a heart of gratitude for the grace that we have been given.
- Foresight – A faithful Christian servant learns from his experience and applies that to situations in which he may serve. He understands that trials and tribulations build patience and with patience comes experience. Finally, he knows that experience produces hope.
- Selfless – A faithful Christian servant does not put his needs above the needs of others. Jesus was selfless in that He came to serve, not be served, in fact, He gave the ultimate self-sacrifice when He went to the cross to pay the penalty of sin for the whole world. Like Him, we should serve without concern for our need, but for the needs of others.
No earthly Christian is the perfect incarnation of these 7 characteristics of servant-hood. Jesus alone bears that distinction. The vast majority of our Christians are imperfect servants trying to be faithful. Therefore, kindly share the following 2 questions in small groups.
– Which one of the 7 marks can you most identify yourself as a Christ-like servant? Why?
– Which one of the 7 marks is the most challenging for you to live as a Christ-like servant? Why?
BIBLICAL TEXT: Luke 22:24-27 24 An argument also began between them about who should be reckoned the greatest;
25 But he said to them, ‘Among the gentiles it is the kings who lord it over them, and those who have authority over them are given the title Benefactor.
26 With you this must not happen. No; the greatest among you must behave as if he were the youngest, the leader as if he were the one who serves.
27 For who is the greater: the one at table or the one who serves? The one at table, surely? Yet here am I among you as one who serves!
- In silence let us reflect on God’s word.
- Which word or phrase struck you with regards to being a servant? Why?
Here are some practical ways you can start in serving others right now.
- Visit someone from your church who is hospitalized.
- Buy someone a meal.
- Bring food & drinks to someone who is sick or hurting.
- Write an encouraging note and leave it for him/her to read.
- Send an anonymous donation to someone you know who is struggling financially.
- Pick a person you do not like & pray for them for a week.
- Plant a tree. 8. Fast one day a week to pray for others.
- Adopt an elderly at your local nursing home and visit regularly.
- Give compliments generously.
- Send flowers to someone.
- Write encouraging notes on all of your friends’ Facebook walls.
- Place flowers or goodies on someone’s doorstep. Ring the bell and run!
- Do a chore for a brother or sister without them knowing.
- Who do you know that is lonely? Call her/him up and make plans.
- Offer to give an entire day to someone you know. Let them set the agenda.
- Drive your car without cursing & swearing at other careless motorists for a week.
- Any other forms of service could also be suggested. Let’s Roll! So let’s stop talking about it and start doing it, shall we? Who can you serve today? What will you do to follow Jesus’ lead and put others first? Choose at least 3 to do during the whole month of July, 2019.
Heavenly Father, when we follow your son, Jesus, we are transformed by your grace and empowered to serve the world around us with your eyes. As your disciples, you transform us to become people who are servant-hearted and kingdom-minded. Give us your strength to serve in order that we may have the privilege of greater revelation of you and your glory. Thank you for this gathering where we feel blessed to be your disciples and servants to our neighbours. We, together with the prayers of Mother Mary, make this prayer through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
CLOSING SONG: I Will Serve You
I will serve you because I love you You have given life to me I was nothing until you found me you have given life to me Heartaches, broken people ruined lives are why you died on Calvary Your touch is what I long for You have given life to me
This article is available in 3 other languages. Download from the link below: