Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase; just take the first step. – Martin Luther King, Jr. –
In Good Shepherd Counselling Services, we provide individual, couple and family counselling to people across all faiths and religions. Our counselors are professionally qualified (with at least a Master’s degree) and are registered under the Malaysian Counselling Board.
- Issues We Help With
- Counseling and Psychotherapy
- How Counseling and Psychotherapy
- About the Counsellors
- How We Can Help
Issues We Help With
The issues that prompt people to turn to counseling and psychotherapy for assistance include:
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual issues
- Family and marital relationship difficulties
- Stress or anxiety
- Effects of trauma problems
- Grieve and bereavement
- Eating disorders
- Desire for personal change
- Career guidance
Counseling and Psychotherapy
There are times in many people’s lives when they need help addressing problems and issues that cause emotional distress and make them feel overwhelmed. It is helpful to talk to someone who is trained to listen without judging or trying to influence, but who will support and guide them in understanding themselves and finding solutions.
Emotional problems rarely go away if ignored. Some people manage to ‘bury’ them, but they inevitably ‘come back and bite them’ at the worst moments – at the times in their lives when they are most vulnerable.
For others, emotional problems are never really buried; they are always there in the background, impacting everything they do and generally affecting their lives negatively.
How Counseling and Psychotherapy
Counselling and psychotherapy help you to discover the reasons for uncomfortable feelings and to work out ways of dealing with them. The relationship between a counselor and a client is confidential, and is based on respect and trust. As counselors, we are trained to listen carefully, to help and to prompt, support and assist you to:
- Identify, explore and clarify your problems (often it is only when you talk to someone unconnected with your life that you begin to hear wheat you are really saying and feeling – counseling and psychotherapy are referred to as ‘talking therapies’.
- Increase your self-awareness and understand the underlying reasons why you feel troubled.
- Find your solutions to improve or resolve your situations. A good therapist will help you to take control of your live and to find ways to help you handle your feelings in the future.
- Seek resources from your faith, culture or philosophy that you can draw upon to be healed, integrated and happier.
About the Counsellors
Fr Edmund Woon is a Roman Catholic priest and he has a MSc degree in Pastoral Counselling from Loyala University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. He is a professional members of the American Association for Counselling (ACA) and is registered in the National Board of Certified Counsellors (NBCC, USA).
How We Can Help
If you would like to make an appointment, please call the office at tel. no. 04 – 2610273. (9.00am – 12.-00pm. daily except Tuesday and Sunday.)
We offer daytime, evening and weekend appointments. As this is not a drop in centre or a crisis centre, the sessions are by appointment only and last approximately 50 minutes.
The number of sessions needed for any particular problem is entirely dependent on the client, the presenting problems and the co-operative way the therapist and the client work together.
We provide a confidential setting when you are free to talk safely, without fear of rejection, criticism or blame.
Clients are expected to contribute an offering for the counseling they received. It is to pay for the salaries and maintenance of the centre. Although a basic offering is suggested, the amount is entirely dependent on the client’s ability to pay.
How to find us
We are located inside the premise of the Church of the Assumption Farquhar Street, Penang (corner of Love Lane, next to the St Xavier’s School. On our right is the state museum).
Good Shepherd Counselling Service 3 Farquhar Street,
Tel: +604 – 261 0273